It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Mexican 4-8-4s still in scrapyard.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:48 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:39 am
Posts: 106
On trainorders.com there is a link to photos of 4-8-4 Baldwin steam locomotives still in a Mexican scrapyard.Look in the PA diesel discussion for links.I know that these engines are similar to NC&STL's first 4-8-4s,but could one be used to replicate any other classes of American steam?Is there anyone besides me that would like to see one of these Mexican 4-8-4s mated with one of the surviving NC&STL Vanderbilt tenders and put on display at TVRM in Chattanooga or the Tennessee Central Museum in Nashville?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mexican 4-8-4s still in scrapyard.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:31 pm 

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:27 pm
Posts: 24
I think TVRM would probably be a better choice. They already have a tender, and Nashville already has an original NC&StL Dixie it would rather leave unfenced so folks could steal things off of it (which they are) and are not maintaing so it's rusting away and looking rough. The TC Museum is already keeping up a 2-6-0 in Cookeville, and it looks good, but they're out of room to display things in Nashville, I think. Not that I'm bitter about the city's treatment of 576 or anything . . .


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mexican 4-8-4s still in scrapyard.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:32 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:56 am
Posts: 604
Location: Rochester, NY
Johnny,what forum was it in?I poked around the several trainorders forums, only found one thread about Alco PA's, and the 4-8-4 discussion wasnt in that thread..you could just post the direct links for us! ;)rather than make us search for them..Scot


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mexican 4-8-4s still in scrapyard.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:07 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 500
Location: Northern Illinois
Johnny, Don't count me in on your suggestion to replicate anything out of an NdeM 4-8-4 or any other locomotive for that matter. I was fortunately to see a number of these locomotives in service in 1966 and I think they are fine just the way they are. WM 734/LS&I 34 and C&O 2765/NKP 765 are about the only "convincing" replications that I have every seen. D&H 302/RDG 2102 was a horrible creature. DL&W 1661/Milwaukee Rd 261 was another disappointment. This is almost like saving a strand of your favorite dog's hair so you can clone another Fido. It just doesn't work for me.Don C.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Link for 4-8-4 photos
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:32 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:39 am
Posts: 106
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/w ... 2Fdh19.htm I hope this works,never tried to post a link before.If not it is in steam discusion under the PA Pics thread.Click past the PA photos.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Link for 4-8-4 photos
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:46 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:50 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Northern Illinois
I think this is where you want to go...http://www.mexlist.com/photo/niagaras/hue1.htm

_________________
Dennis Storzek


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Link for 4-8-4 photos
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:00 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 1138
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Actually, I think this is the exact link: http://www.mexlist.com/photo/niagaras/hue1.htmRealize it was taken in 1998; roughly the same time as the picture that was taken in my database. The rest of text has some conjecture to it.It is my understanding that their disposition is as follows:
    3031 is under restoration at Trinity Company Plant, Huehuetoca, Mexico, Mexico3040 is still in the yard, but is supposed to the Museo de Ciencia y Tecnologia, Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico.3056 is stored at Tequisquiapan, Queretaro, Mexico
-James Hefner Hebrews 10:20a Surviving World Steam Project


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Link for 4-8-4 photos
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:31 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 382
Does anyone know who to contact in Mexico to inquire about the availability of any of these locomotives?

_________________
G. Mark Ray - TVRM
www.tvrail.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Link for 4-8-4 photos
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:32 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:06 pm
Posts: 2567
Location: Thomaston & White Plains
Might want to start with Doyle L. McCormick; he's the only one who has gotten anything out of Mexico since the 60s. I suspect he would have an idea if this was possible or not.I seem to recall mention in an old Railroad Magazine (1968-70 era) Mike Eagleson column, about a guy in Southern California named Tom Irion who supposedly had already purchased an NdeM 4-8-4, and was planning to run it in the Sou Cal area. Never heard any more about it though-- does that sound familiar to anyone?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Could I remind y'all......
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:03 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12170
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
.... that there's another NdeM 4-8-4 under glacial-pace restoration in New Hope, Pa.? Not to criticize the effort (others who have been closer to the engine will no doubt jump in and do so), but New Hope is a heck of a lot closer to Tennessee than Mexico..........


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: