It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:28 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:13 pm
Posts: 417
Location: Baltimore. MD
No joke, the TRAINS Newswire had an article on this last week. It is not obvious from the shot, but it says "Presidential Museum and Library" underneath GHWB's name. I think they are going to run another special train for the opening of this; just like UP rolled the barn out for his birthday when he jumped out of the plane (again).Steve Zuiderveen


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:10 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:25 pm
Posts: 16
The Union Pacific Railroad has the right to paint their rolling stock in whatever paint scheme they choose to do so. We have no right to tell them how the locomotive should be painted. Its time that us Americans start to band together and start acting like the wonderful nation we are!Lehigh<>GeorgeLGSRy. Mascot


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:45 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:22 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Saint Clair, MI
This is a pretty classy looking paint scheme!! Politics aside, I think UP would be wise to lose the Armour Yellow and use THAT scheme for it's engines!! At least paint up the ones that make it over here to Michigan that way...Now what's the story on this unit? Is there plans to make more, like a "Presidents of America" series or something? Seems a bit odd to pick a Prez out of the hat and paint up a loco for him! Was there any historical significance to this engine that UP felt the need to paint it up for HW? Sorry for all the Q's, just that UP's been coming up with some interesting paint schemes lately, although their idea of "Heritage" paint seems to be a little warped!Take care and I hope everyone is having a successful fall!

_________________
David Jandron

Michigan Transit Museum

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:59 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:24 pm
Posts: 462
Location: Scranton, PA
In 1989 or so, it was disputed whether President George HW Bush was really a Texan, since he grew up in Connecticut, (Preston Bush's state) lived in Washington DC most of his adult life, and vacationed in Kennebunkport, ME. His "permanent address" was a hotel room in Houston. It will be interesting to see if this locomotive spends more time in Houston than its namesake ever did. Perhaps the "final Merger" will have this unit arrive in one of these real home towns.I agree with SO on it being a nice paint scheme for a shortline. Maybe he should show this to his employer. LOL, as they say.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: ADMIN Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:24 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:50 am
Posts: 489
Location: Columbia, MD
I would like to commend the posters on this board for their civility despite obvious differences of opinion re President George Herbert Walker Bush. The historian in me would like to point out that President Bush (41) has spent most of his adult life in Texas, which is a major component of today's Union Pacific Railroad. I would agree with Richard Glueck who recommends a UP locomotive in honor of each of our surviving former Presidents. All of them with the exception of President Jimmy Carter come from or reside in states on-line to the UP. While I personally cannot do anything to honor President Bill Clinton, I could turn my lens in the opposite direction should I ever behold such a unit. When I saw the length of this thread, I was worried that it was in need of serious deletion or lockdown. I commend one and all on how they have responded to this dialogue.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:24 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:38 am
Posts: 1013
Location: Philadelphia
Notice the lack of wings, the logo that is. I wonder if crews will get special M&Ms like they do on Air Force One.Joshua


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:45 pm 

Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:52 pm
Posts: 114
Location: Omaha
Is this a preservation board or a model railroaders board? I don't think there is enough cheese out there to serve with this whine. C'mon folks, if you don't like this scheme go get your own locomotive and paint whatever you want on it. On other boards its amazing how people whine about UP's harbor mist gray/armour yellow scheme is boring, so they come out with the heritage units and people complain about them. Now they have this motor painted up and people whine. So I'm going to stop wasting my time on this subject and put it where it counts....preservation!Gerald W. Kopiasz


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:51 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:02 am
Posts: 620
Location: Albany, Georgia
Tom, Tom, Tom! Let's have a little fun! At least the Lowey Air Force One scheme softens the angularity of the locomotive, and those radiator grill flairs look sort of like wings...sort of...And that "thousand points of light" headlight that RJD mentioned must be one of those new LED array lights...

_________________
Stephen S. Syfrett
Albany, GA


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:32 pm 

Hey FolksI wonder if UP will do one up as a Thomas the Tank Engine Character?Andy


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ADMIN Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:29 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:46 pm
Posts: 188
I'm surprised that no one who commented has connected this unit with former President Bush's presidential library, which is carrying on a "History of the Iron Horse" campaign. I believe that this locomotive went through some kind of dedication at or near the library in the last few days. I, too, commend everyone from withholding political comments.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ADMIN Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:53 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:50 am
Posts: 489
Location: Columbia, MD
I believe that the UP brought 3985 down for the dedication of the library in 2001. I did not have all my facts together on this one, so I did not post what I could not verify. Thanks for sharing.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ADMIN Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:28 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes, the lead in this story seems to be buried. I saw an advertisement for the library promoting special railway exhibits and "Frank Sinatra's Model Railroad Collection". Frank Sinatra?Since when did it become so fashionable for all these celebrities to be railfans?Is there any real Bush family interest in trains, or is this just a trendy topic?Cheney? Yes, he may have had financial interests, but I will believe he is a railfan when I seem him wearing goggles and holding a camera.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ADMIN Re: UPs Latest "Heritage" Locomotive
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:05 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:11 pm
Posts: 371
Quote:
agree with SO on it being a nice paint scheme for a shortline. Maybe he should show this to his employer. LOL, as they say.
My employer (actually my customer since I am a contractor) is happy with their current paint scheme - I just wish more of their stuff were painted.
Quote:
Cheney? Yes, he may have had financial interests, but I will believe he is a railfan when I seem him wearing goggles and holding a camera.
I understand that Cheney cooked breakfast for guests in a UP diner during the 2000 Republican convention. Since he has said he will retire at the end of his current term as VP, maybe the ELDCPS guys can hire him :)

_________________
SO


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: