It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: T&NO 745?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:02 pm 

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:07 pm
Posts: 81
Location: MA
Has anyone heard about how T&NO 2-8-2 #745 and the members of their group survived the hurricane? I read in the article in R&R that this engine is stored in New Orleans.Regards,Trevor H.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: T&NO 745?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:03 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:24 pm
Posts: 283
Location: New Jersey
I asked a little while back. I was told that the locomotive was in a part of town that didn't flood and that the locomotive only had broken glass. They said that a bearing on the locomotive was running hot during their runs so that has to addressed before the locomotive makes a run again. If anything I stated here is wrong I'm sorry and I'm sure someone from that group will correct me.-Eric B.

_________________
Eric Bolton
Superintendent/Owner
East Tigard & Southern RR Co.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: T&NO 745?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:06 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:24 pm
Posts: 283
Location: New Jersey
I found the thred I started and here is what a member told me.
Quote:
The 745 escaped relatively unscathed from the hurricane. From what I have been told,the engine was in about eight inches of water,and the firemans' cab window was broken. We have some work to do on her before our next adventure,but as soon as people can get into the area with regularity ( as in move back to New Orleans) work will begin to rectify her bearing troubles.

_________________
Eric Bolton
Superintendent/Owner
East Tigard & Southern RR Co.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: T&NO 745?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:55 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:24 pm
Posts: 462
Location: Scranton, PA
One topic I wished was covered in the articles of the bicentennial train was which five flags were flying on the front of the smoke box. I imagine one was the Louisiana state flag, but the other four were not readily recognizable for me. Anyone know?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: T&NO 745?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:14 am 

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:53 pm
Posts: 660
The Louisiana state flag,The United States flag,The French flag (France ruled Louisiana 1682-1762, and 1800-1803),The Spanish flag (Spain ruled Louisiana 1762-1800),and I don't recognize the fifth.JAC


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: T&NO 745?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:28 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:31 am
Posts: 1341
Location: South Carolina
Well, it seems like it should have been the "stars and bars" (the Confederate national flag), but that's become politically incorrect in recent times so it may have been something else.

_________________
Hugh Odom
The Ultimate Steam Page
http://www.trainweb.org/tusp


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: T&NO 745?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:57 am 

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:53 pm
Posts: 660
http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/around/bri ... -1.htmIt's pretty visible in the R&R article, but tt's not any of these. I'll hazard a guess that it's LASTA's own banner.JAC


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: T&NO 745?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:08 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 773
I feel bad that I don't know the answer to the flag issue....and I was ON the trip!( I was a little bit busy though....)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: T&NO 745?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:17 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
whodom wrote:
Well, it seems like it should have been the "stars and bars" (the Confederate national flag), but that's become politically incorrect in recent times so it may have been something else.
Please somebody who knows confirm: was there actually a confederate national flag? I have been told the flag we consider the confederate emblem was actually the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. I'd certainly like to know at this late stage of my life just what symbol is really appropriate in what historic venue.dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: T&NO 745?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:36 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
Yes, three confederate national flags at least. The longest-used one is the Stars and Bars, and it is not the "Dukes of Hazzard" flag. Learn all you can stand here:http://www.confederateflags.org/

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: T&NO 745?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:32 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:02 am
Posts: 620
Location: Albany, Georgia
Here you go, Dave.The first Confederate States of America flag was the Stars & Bars, very similar to the latest State of Georgia flag, but with 13 stars in a circle in the blue union (or canton) in the upper left corner.The second CSA flag consisted of a white field with the Cross of St. Andrew in the union at the upper left corner.Due to problems with the second CSA flag being easily confused as a flag of surrender when hanging limp on a pole on a breezeless day, it was modified in 1865 to add a wide vertical red band along the right edge of the field. This was the last official flag of the Confederacy.The Cross of St. Andrew, either square or expanded to a rectangular flag shape, were used as the Battle Flag.There was also the "Bonnie Blue" flag, a blue field with a single large white star in the middle.That's about all I can recall.

_________________
Stephen S. Syfrett
Albany, GA


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: T&NO 745? / flags
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:10 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
Oh boy - too many choices. Too much information overload. Seems like if one were to be working on a railroad-based reenactment, it is probable that several different flags may well be required. Thanks for the mass of good information. If nothing else, I can use it to refute the politically correct when they voice objection to the wrong banner.dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: T&NO 745?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:26 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:24 pm
Posts: 462
Location: Scranton, PA
After scouring the Railfan article and the Trains article, plus an atlas kept near my desk, my guess is that flag no. 5 might be that of Mississippi, since the rails took this train through MS for part of its run.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: