It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Koln dual turntable question.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:14 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
I've asked this before, but no one seems to remember the dual, overlapping turntables that once were at Koln (Cologne), Germany. I'm wondering if they still exist, but searching has produced nothing. When I was a kid, photos of them appeared in a couple of British rail books I checked out at the library. When I was there in the early 1970s, local rail enthusiasts said they were still in use, as were several Kriegsloks at Koln Sud. I had a very pregnant wife at the time, so never got to see them in person. The turntable pits actually overlapped, and one table had to be lined out of the way to use the other. Anyone know if they are still there?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Koln dual turntable question.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:49 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 2733
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Bob,I don't know if they are still aroud, but I've seen a photo of them in use in one of my books about the Military Railway Service in World War II. You are right that the tables overlapped, so one table had to be in a certain position to use the other one. I can't remember the context of the photo, but it was during the allied occupation.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Koln dual turntable question.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:22 am 

I don't think this is Koln but try this link and scroll down. The photo isn't great but you can see the overlapping pit rings.

http://www.germansteam.info/Archive/Archive.html


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: