It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Washington Terminal RS-1 dispositions?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:28 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:24 am
Posts: 8
Location: Morgantown, WV
Does anyone know if any of the Washington (DC) Terminal RS-1 switchers retired in the mid / late 1980's has survived or been preserved?

Thanks, DTM


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Washington Terminal RS-1 dispositions?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:56 am 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:19 am
Posts: 720
Location: Scottsboro, AL
Being a DC native, I have always had a soft spot for the Washington Terminal RS-1 fleet, which I remember as a fixture of Union Station.

To my knowledge, there are several still around. I believe the Tioga Central tourist railroad in PA has #47. Jay Reed's "Comprehensive Guide to Industrial Locomotives" shows #54 at Conrad Yelvington Distributors (stone and gravel yard) in Riviera Beach, FL, and #52 at thier facility in Orlando. #50 was reported at Mid Atlantic Materials, another stone yard, in Newingon, VA; #61 was also in Virginia at the Possum Point generating station. The old PEPCO power company had at least four WT engines, the 42, 45, 51 and 56. Jay's book is a great reference, although industrial units can move around or vanish quickly without notice.

Engine 41, which became East Washington Railway #103, went to a grain elevator in Texas. Last I heard, it was stored and now privately owned by a locomotive collector.

I may have missed one somewhere, but that gives ten or so accounted for within the last couple of years.

Alan Maples


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Washington Terminal RS-1 dispositions?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:32 am 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
Ex-Washington Terminal RS-1 57 is privately owned and is stored (out of service) on the East Penn RR at Quakertown, PA.

Previously 57 did tourist and freight hauling stints on the New Hope & Ivyland RR in PA and the Black River & Western RR in NJ.

Regards,
Jim Robinson


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Washington Terminal RS-1 dispositions?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:43 am 

I think one of them was at the Winnepesaukee under Paul Cronin and then went with him to Wiscasset, Maine


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Washington Terminal RS-1 dispositions?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:52 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:56 am
Posts: 604
Location: Rochester, NY
Three of them came through Waverly, NY around 1984-1986..
(sorry, I dont recall the exact year...I have the dates written down, but not with me at the moment. My original photos, with dates, are at the Sayre RR museum..I really need to get down there to get the exact dates for all my photos! I hate guessing.)
:(

Image

Image

Image

Image


they were heading to the Tioga Scenic railroad in Owego, NY.

47
59
62

47 was in Amtrak colors, 59 and 62 were blue.

none are now in Owego, two have moved to Wellsboro, PA, and are there now.

The Tioga Scenic also has an operation in Wellsboro, PA.
the Tioga Central.
they have #47 and #62.
62 is operating, in an LV scheme!
47 is OOS.

59 is now with the SRRofNJ.

http://www.tiogacentral.com/equipment.htm

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=111129&PHPSESSID=0b8edc4808b599eae6423c0adf6485cc

found a WT roster, with dispositions:
http://www.thedieselshop.us/WTC.HTML

Scot


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Washington Terminal RS-1 dispositions?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:56 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:56 am
Posts: 604
Location: Rochester, NY
I also got a photo of this obscure beastie:

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=71192

Scot


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: