It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: at wits end....
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:38 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:40 am
Posts: 325
Location: UT
here's the situation.

My computer is set up with RyPN as the home page. I stay logged in and have set the preference to log me in automatically as I visit 'interchange'. The ideal is to have the option of viewing the posts since my last visit.

This afternoon (this session) I click on interchange, my name shows as a "user browsing this forum" but no option to "view posts since last visit". Turns out that I have been somehow logged out and not automatically logged in as I enter the 'interchange'. So I again log in. Again, indicate to automatically log me in. I am then returned to the 'interchange' and have the option to "view posts since last visit' -- which when selected tells me that there is nothing new because my last session occured 30 seconds ago before I was sent to 'log-in' again--dumping all of the new posts since my true last visit last night!


folks.....it didn't used to work this way......

sc 'doc' lewis


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: at wits end....
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:15 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:40 am
Posts: 325
Location: UT
Now (28 views by you folks later) I've been to my bank's site, to eBay, exited my browser and come back -- supposed to be some new posting about Conrail something or 'rather. I ask for a list of new posts since my last visit (after logging in) and get the response that nothing meets the search criteria.

BTW, now my name doesn't even show in the users viewing this forum line.

look if you don't want me around...I can take a hint.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: at wits end....
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:00 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 1114
Location: Northeastern US
I can tell you from experience (and from talking with Hume at length about this) that you need to delete your "cookies." In my case not once, but twice.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: We want you around
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:47 am 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:01 pm
Posts: 213
Location: Seattle, WA
but I get a handful of complaints each month and it's really hard to trouble shoot individual users via email.

I get complaints about other things too, like some users can't see the pictures in the briefs, but they work fine in the articles. Go figure. I haven't got a clue why that would be.

As far as I know it (the Interchange) works for the vast majority of users. If, and I'm almost scared to say this, this isn't true please let me know.

If you've been having problems ever since we switched to the new server then the problem almost assuredly is cookies. If it's a recent problem then it's probably cookies.

Tell me how long this has been going on and what browser you're using, Internet Explorer, Netscape, Firefox, AOL, etc. We'll take it from there.

Why don't you email me at hkading@rypn.org and we'll try this offline.

_________________
Hume Kading
Don't eat live food.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: at wits end....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:54 am 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:01 pm
Posts: 213
Location: Seattle, WA
One other thing that might help some is if you lose the posts since last visit option, there's a feature at the bottom of the forum topic list that let's you sceen posts by time period.

Display topics from previous: <click on the down arrow and select the time period you want displayed, 1 day, 7 days, 2 weeks, etc.> then push the go button to the right which I just noticed doesn't say go.

Gotta go fix that, or try.

Doesn't solve your problem but may help you catch up a little.

Also, in thread view you should be able to see a color difference between posts you've read and ones you haven't.

_________________
Hume Kading
Don't eat live food.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: at wits end....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:08 pm 

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 822
Location: NJ
I used to post and read on another rail site until they changed something and then I could not access their site any longer. They too said to delete cookies which takes out auto logins on all of my other sites. And to have to delete cookies every time that wanted to go on their site was just too much like work so I stopped viewing their site. Then I found this site and haven't had the desire to go back there. Please don't change anything.

Later!
Mr. Ed


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We want you around
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:17 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:18 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Staunton Va
I've generally had problems with my settings ever since the post quit coming cronologicly. They seem to be different every time and deleting cookies really hasn't done any thing either way. But so far I haven't been prevented from viewing and I am to busy to fight it, so I just go with the flow.....


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Okay, here's my complaint:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:29 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12170
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Before server change:

I had saved in my IE Favorites a link to RyPN Interchange viewed as "Flat View", and when browsing the topics they would appear as flat view as well. One click per topic showed it all.

After server change:
Now I have the same page saved, but when I click on an individual topic it comes up as "thread view" and I have to click at least twice to view the topic in flat view. Don't get me started on how many times I have to click if it's a topic on several pages: I can get it to flat view, click on page 2, and I'm back on thread view seeing only one entry. Then I back up several times to start all over. If I should click on "Topics Index", I get back there--in thread view, not flat view like I started from.

I'm wearing out a mouse here.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Okay, here's an answer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:49 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 1263
Location: Eagan, MN
rypn interchange is simply an instance of phpBB running on one of our enterprise servers. phpBB uses cookies to control such things as automatic login, and to retain information about what you last read on the site. If the cookies needed to control this functionality aren't available, or have become invalid or corrupt, then phpBB (and hence the Interchange) aren't going to work correctly.

You needn't clear all your cookies to fix this problem. If you're running Internet Explorer simply download and install Firefox. Then log in to the interchange, and live happily ever after.

Or go into your settings and clear cookies that have rypn in their name.

Or you could kill a chicken, bury it at a crossroads at the full moon...no wait that's how we got republicans in office. Scratch that.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Okay, here's an answer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:55 pm 

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 822
Location: NJ
Amen!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Okay, here's my complaint:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:50 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Northern Illinois
I think I found the glitch; I just saw IE go by.

I view this forum on two machines through two different ISP's. Both machines run Mozilla for browser software. I have the Interchange set to Flat View. The original move to this software from the old thread software went without a hitch; I don't even recall having to do anything special to log in, though perhaps I had to do it once to set the auto log-in. The recent move to the new server was completely seamless.

The only thing I miss is not having a spel chequer available in the reply text screen.

I think Hume and crew are doing an excellent job; considerably better that that bunch of scoundrels in Redmond.

_________________
Dennis Storzek


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
 
cron