It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: SOO 1003 Photos
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:55 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:26 pm
Posts: 332
Location: Hammond, WI
Some pretty good shots of SOO 1003 this last summer:
http://mkuchta.rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThumbs.aspx?id=10282&Page=2

_________________
Boyd


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SOO 1003 Photos
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:09 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Nice wig-wag signals in Madison.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SOO 1003 Photos
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:56 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6487
Those ARE nice wig-wags! I guess I will have to try to find them the next time I go up to visit my Mom in suburban Monona.

What really threw me though, was the photo of 1003 coming right toward the camera (third row; photo on left.) That one struck a familiar chord! I got out my copy of Leslie V. Suprey's book STEAM TRAINS OF THE SOO and there on page 110 was the photo that I had suddenly recalled. But it wasn't exactly the same. In the photo in Judge Suprey's book, the Mike is sister # 1019, not 1003, and the photo was taken in Minneapolis. And the consist is different. An old covered hopper, an Erie double door 40' box car, the standard Soo Line wood caboose with marker lights (like the one behind 1003) and bringing up the rear, a single dome tank car. And then I thought, boy we sure could come close to duplicating this scene. Hey JAC, wanna give it a try?

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SOO 1003 Photos
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:28 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 500
Location: Northern Illinois
Very nice. I never did get a 36 exposure roll of K36 back from my local Wolf Photo after Kodak's Kodachrome processor (whoever it happens to be THIS week!) managed to misplace it. It was a spectacular day and I lost all of my shots from Waukesha to Milton Junction with a four or five car freight train trailing her tank.

Don C.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SOO 1003 Photos
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:45 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:06 pm
Posts: 61
Location: Green Bay, WI
Don C. wrote:
Very nice. I never did get a 36 exposure roll of K36 back from my local Wolf Photo after Kodak's Kodachrome processor (whoever it happens to be THIS week!) managed to misplace it. It was a spectacular day and I lost all of my shots from Waukesha to Milton Junction with a four or five car freight train trailing her tank.

Don C.


Well that's a real bummer Don. It was a blast that day to see the 1003 working a wayfreight through those rural towns, behind the barnyard fences, and over gravel crossbuck protected crossings with those hoppers and SOO caboose, Even the water car fit in. Despite the heat it was a great chase and a great bonding experience for our grandson and me-- his first time seeing and chasing standard gauge steam.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: