It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NRHS Convention
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:10 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:18 pm
Posts: 549
Location: Illinois
Responding to a few items in this post:

1. You'll get no argument from me that the prices for these trips are much higher than for the exact same trips in years past. Also, I agree completely that these conventions that largely repeat stuff done in the past are problematic - I think that hurt the Baltimore convention a lot.

2. Responding to Bob H: what Chapters have stepped forward and offered to run a 2008 convention? As of January at the RPCA convention I don't think anyone had. If no Chapter steps forward pretty soon I wouldn't expect to see a 2008 convention.

3. Convention attendance last year in Portland was in the high 400s (as far as I can remember). The remote location hurt a bit, but what really hurt attendance was their not having a steam trip confirmed until a few weeks before the convention. I think they know that was a problem.

Chris J.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NRHS Convention
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:44 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
Chris, I'm very surprised to read your post reporting that last years NRHS convention only drew 400 some attendees. It was my memory from the years I used to follow this that they always got at least 1,000 to 1,500 players? Is my memory playing tricks or has interest declined that sharply in recent times? If you thought that Portland,Oregon was "remote"I guess you must feel that New Phila.,Ohio is really in the boonies. As I said, I hope I'm wrong but if they could only get 400 in Portland,Oregon it'll be interesting to see how many turn up in Ohio.
Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NRHS Convention
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:45 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:46 pm
Posts: 188
Ticket prices: Tuesday, July 18, Dennison-Gould Tunnel-Dennison, F units, anticipated steam freight, Open Window Coach $165, Airconditioned Coach $165, First Class $249. Wednesday, July 19, Independence-Canton, Alco FPA's, Streamliner Coach $99, Observation Car $199. July 19 Night Photo Session at Morgan Run $49. Thursday, July 20, Dennison-Newark-Dennison, steam power planned, Open Window Coach $189, Airconditioned Coach $189, Parlor Car $259, Inspection Car $289. Optional tour of Morgan Run shops $29. Saturday, July 22, Dennison-Brewster-Brewster-Dennison, various historic diesels, Open Window Coach $199, A/C Coach $199, Parlor Car $269, Inspection Car $299. Optional Morgan Run shop visit $29. Friday banquet $29.
I have not seen official figures from Portland, but the chapter reported 1,000 people purchased event tickets.
Minutes of national meetings still state no one has volunteered for 2008, but the national will be sponsoring it.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NRHS Convention
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:06 am 

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:18 pm
Posts: 549
Location: Illinois
I am probably wrong, but I thought the registration for the 2005 convention was in the high 400s. I know about 550 attended the banquet, of which probably 50 or so were local Chapter members.

Chris.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NRHS Convention
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:21 pm 

Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:17 pm
Posts: 117
Location: walton, ky
My only request is to have them try and make it different that past events at OC. Last year, when they announced that they were going to host, people here in southern Ohio and northern KY were excited as the buzz was that there were going to be visiting steam and rare equipment brought in for the festivities. Not having any real excursions last year certainly has my pallett wet with anticipation, but I don't know that I will try to stay for the event as a whole because of the lack of diverse equipment. I have seen most of their equipment run except 33. I won't stay more than a day there to ride or see the things I have already seen because of time and money. If there were things going on that were new or different, I might possibly stay longer. I will most likely only go one day and try to schedule to go somewhere else instead of spending my time solely there.

-Joe


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NRHS Convention
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:15 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
I suspect that there will be many who share your sentiments Joe. I'm sure if it had been financially feasible they would have arranged for some visiting engines but with the costs of things like insurance etc. it just wasn't possible. And with the steam dep't. down to less than a hand full of guys they'll have all they can do just getting the 33&1293 ready as it is.
I just hope they get enough players to make it happen at all! Time will tell.
Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: