It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Scrapped GG-1
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:13 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:34 pm
Posts: 670
Location: Union, IL
A few photos were recently posted on the NERail.org site of GG-1 #4873, the only GG-1 to be scrapped post-preservation. The photos were taken at Whippany in late 1991; my records suggest the locomotive was scrapped the next year, in 1992. Does anyone have any insight as to why it was scrapped? I'm not trying to start a debate, I was just curious.

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2006032113495320055.jpg
http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2006032113493819843.jpg
http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2006032113491519242.jpg

_________________
Frank Hicks
Preserved North American Electric Railway Equipment News
Hicks Car Works


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scrapped GG-1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:24 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:05 am
Posts: 1140
Location: San Francisco
Frank,

This brings to mind another one that was in Upstate New York. If I recall, it was sold to a private individual by an NRHS chapter.

From what I recall of the web site the owner had to drive a long distance to do any work on the locomotive?

And is there still one on display in the Harrisburg Station? I think another NRHS chapter awned that one also.

Ted Miles


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scrapped GG-1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:31 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:32 pm
Posts: 28
Isn't that the one that was the sold by the individual to the Henry Ford Museum a few years back? If not, what ever happened to the Henry Ford unit? I think it was about 2 years ago an article was published about it and nothing's been mentioned since.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Harrisburg's G
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:45 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12170
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
4859 was acquired by the Harrisburg NRHS by buying an Amtrak GG1 for $5,000 (yes, the going price for a G to a qualified nonprofit) and trading it and a bunch of cash to Naporano Iron and Metal for the "object of their affection", one of the few "freight" GG1's saved and the first G into Harrisburg. I seem to recall that somehow custody of the 4859 either ended up or will end up with the Penna. Historic & Museum Commission, probably in some bureaucratic move involving insurance, etc. I understand Amtrak has basically handed the 4859 an eviction notice; the problem is where it goes from there? RR Museum of Pa. needs another GG1 like Britain needs another Stanier Black Five or trackside foamers need another B40-8.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Harrisburg's G
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:18 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:38 am
Posts: 1013
Location: Philadelphia
I would hazard a guess that the British would appreciate another Black 5 then we would B40-8 or a GG-1, but I understand the point you are trying to make.

Joshua


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: