It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: ACL 501
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:59 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
Here in 1965, downgraded a bit from its purple days at the head of the streamlined Champion. It looks better today at Spencer. Do enough FEC cars exist to recreate the as-built Champion, which I think was about five cars long?

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?a ... 8-7-65.jpg


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACL 501
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:26 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:02 am
Posts: 620
Location: Albany, Georgia
Uh, excuse me Bob, but there were actually three Champion consists in the original rendition: 2 ACL Champion consists and only one FEC-contributed consist ;>)

Actually, the SAM Shortline has the former FEC Bay Biscayne, which was the end car on the first southbound Champion run from NY City in December 1939. I don't believe either of the ACL tavern lounge obs cars (250 and 251) survived. In fact, one of them was destroyed in a wreck, but I don't recall which one or what year.

Although I don't have any hard proof of it yet, supposedly Thronateeska Heritage Center's ACL RPO No. 13, originally ACL 700, was used in Champion service after rebuilt to its current configuration and renumbered in 1953.

So, this is a start of a Champion consist, the head end anf the rear end...all we've got to do is find the middle!

_________________
Stephen S. Syfrett
Albany, GA


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACL 501
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:18 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
Sorry, I meant ACL. Not sure why I said FEC. Good information though.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: