It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Cornering the Ebay market.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:04 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:50 am
Posts: 195
Location: Lakewood, CA
This bidder "cbsteam" has been purchasing virtually every steam gauge, air brake gauge, air brake valve, headlight, etc. of late. He seems to be paying top dollar for stuff that until recently was going at a fairly reasonable price. Of course "reasonable" is subjective. Here is a K14 brake stand currently up for bid:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Westinghouse-K-14-Brake-Valve-Stand-Locomotive-Train_W0QQitemZ330057917121QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4124QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this stuff actually worth what he is paying? I am wondering if he is squirreling this stuff away to sell later, or hopefully he is purchasing for restoration purposes. In any event God bless Ebay and the free market system!

_________________
J. Chris Allan
WP 165 Restoration Blog:
http://wprrsteam.blogspot.com


Last edited by wsflco on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cornering the Ebay market.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:52 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Mr. Cbsteam appears to have money to spend and a lot of free time. He also has an interest in Forest Service items.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cornering the Ebay market.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:02 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:11 pm
Posts: 373
He hasn't found me yet. We just bought all the inventory of a loco repair business and have tons of stuff. 2 semi trailers stacked full of stuff. Look at my adds in the classifieds. I haven't began to list it all. look on railswap as well. I have 2 wire baskets full of brake parts including 14 and 6 things. At what I just saw on e-bay I should be selling old brake valves there.
In any case before I give e-bay another shot(no one wanted brand new fusee torpedo boxs cheap) e-mail me for wants and needs. (no steam things) I have new gages, ampmeters, G.E. parts. New old stock E.M.D. electrical parts, a few baldwin injector cores, cab strip heaters, 2 brand new prime ss steel toilets and on and on.
I'm willing to cut great deals to preservation groups. It would be nice if some of this stuff found a good home preserving something instead of being sold for core value.
Sorry about the plug but maybe more pepole will see it here.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cornering the Ebay market.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:37 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
There is a Golden Glow headlight on ebay now, search under "live steam". It looks like ex-trolley service.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cornering the Ebay market.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:21 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:23 am
Posts: 492
Location: Strasburg, PA
One sees this from time to time. I was buying some go/no-go gauges the other month and some canary was outbidding me every time. I had this image of some guy in a Florida double-wide, surrounded by boxes of Pratt & Whitney wheel gauges ...

_________________
Steve


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: